Seoul Declares Bid for UN Security Council
South Korea has declared again its bid for a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a press release Tuesday. Seoul withdrew its candidacy last year as a way to help then Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon’s campaign to become the U.N. secretary-general.
``The government has decided to run for non-permanent membership on the U.N. Security Council for a two-year term that starts from 2013 and notified U.N. member states of its decision on Jan. 24,’’ the ministry said.
A vote for new members on the 15-seat council will be held in 2012 at the 67th U.N. General Assembly.
South Korea served a two-year term from 1996 as one of the 10 non-permanent members of the Security Council.