Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Give Take Relationship

This column from the Chosun Ilbo summarize how some (including me) view relations between the North and South. Namely, the North exploiting the South's softness to take without giving anything in return.

A sentiment that I found particularly interesting was the columnist's question as to why the South is spending so much to finance the North's army while many South Koreans go hungry. This seems to be more of a "us-them" view of the North. For the most part, I've found that South Koreans view North Koreans as their blood and kin, but is this sentiment diminishing as time passes? I know that for me, I feel a link to South Korea only. I guess I consider myself of South Korean heritage, but not North Korean. I'm wondering if this sentiment will grow in the future.

No comments: