Friday, April 13, 2007

Korean Central News Agency

To my knowledge, no one has posted yet about the Korean Central News Agency website, the state-run news agency of the DPRK (and official mouthpiece of the Korean Worker's Party!), so here it is.

While it is probably inadvisable to rely on it as a credible news source, I believe that it does provide a small window into the thinking of the regime in Pyongyang. On the one hand, it illustrates some of the propoganda tactics used on the North Korean people. For instance, roughly every third article discusses how some figure in the international community recently praised the wonderous accomplishments of the Great Leader, Kim Il-sung. The theme of the outside world looking in (NOT due to security concerns) is also prevalent.

On the other hand, I think the occasional article also speaks to the attitudes of the leadership as well. For example, before the 6 Party Talks resumed earlier this year, I recall reading a number of news feeds condemning U.S. imperialism and hypocrisy, etc. Now however, a recent story discusses "achieving peace and implementing the socio-economic tasks" on the Korean peninsula. While a small indicator, I don't think it is completley negligible.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with anyone who hasn't seen it before. I think it mostly interesting (and moderately amusing) to read through the propoganda pieces. Then again, I guess I can't refute that Cambodia and India recently celebrated the Day of the Sun. Whether or not the language accurately reflects sentiment in the regime however, is up for debate.

No comments: